Have you ever had to rent a car? Are you aware of the complexity surrounding the rental process and car price? We've created this guide to prevent you from making common mistakes that can cost a lot of money. From determining how many days you will be renting, insurance options, and avoiding underage driver fees, we have researched all aspects of renting a car.
Here's our 7-step guide on how to rent a car without getting ripped off.
1. Plan your days: The first step is to know exactly how many days you will need the car. If you rent for more days than you need, you will end up paying for extra days that you didn’t use.
2. Check for promotions: Many companies offer weekly or weekend deals that can save you money.
3. Find the right place to look for rental cars.
There are many websites that offer great deals on rental cars, but not all of them are created equal. Do some research and find a few reputable websites that offer good rates.
4. Compare prices between different rental companies.
Once you've found a few good websites, it's time to start comparing prices. Be sure to compare the total price, not just the daily rate. Factors like taxes, fees, and insurance can all add up and make a big difference in the final price.
5. Select the right car: Choose a smaller car if you are only driving by yourself or with one other person. A smaller car will be cheaper to rent and use less gas.
6. Get insurance: When renting a car, you will be asked if you want to purchase insurance. Unless you have your own car insurance that covers rental cars, we recommend getting the insurance.
7. Avoid underage driver fees: If you are under the age of 25, you may be charged an underage driver fee.
8. Check for other fees: When you get your final bill, check to see if there are any other fees that were added on, such as a GPS rental fee or a cleaning fee. At the end of the day, by doing a little bit of research and being prepared, it's possible to rent a car without getting ripped off.
The biggest takeaway from these tips is that being informed can help you get a good deal on your rental car.